Do you have a passion for social change and social media?Are you skilled at visual storytelling and content creation? This could be the internship for you.
Our small editorial team publishes to our website daily, and we need a strong social media crew to help us promote our award-winning journalism.
This intensive internship offers direct experience in creating and executing digital strategies and campaigns, as well as a variety of other skills transferable to careers in digital media marketing, outreach, and design.
What you’ll be doing
- Help plan and execute a daily social media strategy on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.;
- Turn YES! articles into posts, stories, and videos for social media;
- Assist in the online production process;
- Help plan and execute engagement campaigns across all social platforms;
- Work as a member of the editorial team—familiarize yourself with upcoming and current content as well as stories from our archives;
- Gain training and experience in all aspects of editorial web production, including layout, photo editing, headlining, and scheduling.
What we ask
Digital internships last six months. This is a paid, immersive internship that requires a commitment of 24 hours per week. Start date is mid-January 2020.
What we offer
YES! offers $16/hour, as well as paid time off, and a local transit pass.
Who we want
Most successful applicants have or are pursuing a degree in graphic design, journalism/media, communications, or comparable experience in a related field, and are familiar with social media platforms and tools including Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite, and Instagram. A strong background in graphic design and fluency in Adobe Creative Suite programs is required. Familiarity with the topics we cover (including racial justice, environmental justice, economic equality) and knowledge of how they are discussed on social media is preferred.
We are looking for the following:
- Experience with content creation and social media campaigns;
- Experience using social media platforms in personal and professional capacities;
- Ability to adhere to YES! style and branding guidelines
- Strong writing skills and excellent attention to detail, accuracy, and cultural sensitivity;
- Strong graphic design sensibilities, including some experience with Adobe Creative Suite and online graphic creation platforms like Canva
- Some experience with social media outreach, engagement, marketing, or PR;
- Excellent self-starting with the ability to work effectively independently;
- Excellent communication skills within a team environment.
To apply, please send the following in an email to jobs [at] yesmagazine.org with the subject line “Digital Internship” by Friday, Dec. 23, 2019:
- A writing sample
- A sample of your graphic design work (your portfolio, a campaign you’ve worked on in the past, etc.)
- Two references
- A cover letter that answers the following question: What’s the role of social media in advancing social change?
Back to internship page.